With more than thirty years of writing, marketing, sales, management, and computer technology experience, I can help you communicate more effectively with your customers, suppliers, and employees. I can get the right information to the right people at the right time in a form that meets your goals.
I am a freelance communications expert providing technical and business writing, web site creation, and other communication services to businesses, organizations, and individuals. Whether you need a marketing brochure, procedures manual, company newsletter, or a web site, I can make it happen on time, on budget, on target.
Researches, writes, edits and coordinates the delivery of written communication for both online and print media including but not limited to white papers, web site content, marketing collateral, user guides, specifications, proposals, newsletters, and presentations. Experienced with developing and creating compelling value propositions for technology companies at both a corporate (business benefit) and product (technical) level. Translates complex ideas and processes into appropriate language and form for the target audience. Ensures conformance to applicable standards. Works with all levels of corporate and customer organizations to gather information, define appropriate communication methods, and deliver the final information product.
- B.A., English, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- B.S. Computer Science, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- IBM training in: Programming, Information Development, Management, and Marketing
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.), Summer Session: Communicating Technical Information
Freelance Writer and Web Site Developer
- Developed marketing, sales, and user documents for small businesses
- Developed web sites for non-profit and small businesses
2003-2005 IBM Corporation, Systems and Technology Group
Business Development Manager
- Developed marketing plans for joint IBM and Business Partner offerings
- Created marketing collateral to express joint value propositions
- Coordinated activities executed by world-wide marketing organization
1999-2003 IBM Corporation, Sales & Distribution
Software Sales Specialist
- Responsible for US east coast sales of database software products
- Developed and executed sales strategy within assigned territory
- Exceeded sales quota every year
1996-1999 IBM Corporation, Software Group
Business Partner Sales Support Specialist
- Developed and implemented business partner support program for imaging and content management products
- Negotiated joint marketing contract with senior partner executives
- Provided sales and technical guidance to IBM sales representatives and partners
- Exceeded sales goals every year
1993-1996 IBM Corporation, Software Group
Marketing and Sales Support Specialist
- Developed and executed marketing programs for IBM's softcopy publishing products.
- Provided sales and technical guidance to IBM sales representatives and IBM business partners.
- Planned and executed trade show plans, performed demos, and ensured lead follow-up.
1989-1993 IBM Corporation, Corporate Staff
- Defined corporate-wide standards for internal and customer documentation
- Maintained corporate standards manual and database
- Trained all IBM Information Development functions on standards
1982-1989 IBM Corporation, Information Development and Human Factors
- Managed between 3 and 6 first-line managers of Information Development, Human Factors, and Graphic Design departments and direct staff, totaling 150 employees
- Defined strategy for assigned software product libraries
- Performed middle management personnel responsibilities
- Key member of “Softcopy Strategy” committee resulting in corporate standards
- Designed retraining program to develop software technical writers; program used at IBM and local college
- Taught writing and library design within IBM and at a local college
1978-1982 IBM Corporation, Information Development
- Managed group of between 10 and 20 writers, graphic designers, and production personnel
- Coordinated department activities with product development, human factors, and corporate standards
- Performed first-line personnel responsibilities
1974-1978 IBM Corporation, Information Development
Information Developer (writer) and Publications Planner
- Designed library of user guides for IBM software products
- Wrote user guides, sales brochures, and diagnostic manuals
- Managed the translation and production of assigned manuals
- Key member of committee to define corporate-wide user guide standards
- Taught writing and library design within IBM
Available on request.
91 York Woods Road, South Berwick, ME 03908